Graphics and Visuals
Graphics - Our engine is a bit behind times, and would be nice to have a more modern rendering engine, both from a "nice to look at" and "easier to work with" aspects.
- PBR metallic based workflow - would simplify asset creation, due to the amount of readily available assets, tools and documentation
- Decal based detailing - another thing that would simplify asset creation, and a way to improve visual fidelity. Could also provide optimization benefits due to reused materials and textures
- Tiled materials - would simplify texturing, especially for large surfaces.
- With weathering and grunge masks to break up monotony and sterility
- Screen Space AO - nice to have, and removes burden of baking AO onto textures.
- Screen Space Reflections - would improve visual fidelity a lot. A lot of materials depend on reflection, like car paints and such.
- These could also provide an incentive for aspiring contributors, who could learn a modern workflow while making assets.